Broughton in Furness is a small Market
Town situated in the south of Cumbria, on
the south side of the Lake District
The Town is built around the scenic
Market Square, where Farmers Markets are
still held. This is a popular area for
Walking, Biking and Canoeing.
Area Attractions Click on Map.
The image below is of the Town Hall in the
Market Square that now holds the Tourist Information
Centre that gives information on local
The second image is of the Square in
Broughton in Furness with the Obelisk having
been erected in 1810 for the Jubilee of King
George III. By the Obelisk are Slabs where Fish
caught on the River Duddon were sold.
There are also Old Stocks next to the
Obelisk, used for Punishment and Public
Humiliation up to the 1870s. These have been
retained as a Tourist Attraction, a good photo
The Black Cock Inn
is close to the Market Square, offering good
food, accommodation and a wide selection of
ales and spirits.
The Old Kings Head is also
close to the Market Square, providing
accommodation, drinks and meals.
Attractions in the area are: