Berwick upon Tweed or just Berwick
is a Town in Northumberland northeast
England, 63 miles north of Newcastle, 3 miles south of
the Border with Scotland. North
Berwick is in Scotland, 39 miles
Berwick is popular for its Ramparts
/ Town Walls, Museum & Art Gallery
at the Ramparts, Bridges, Castle Ruins
by the Bridges, and River of Sea Boat
Trips. More area Attractions
Area Attractions Click on
The image top is of Castlegate with the
main street running from the Arch down into
Berwick centre named Marygate. The main
Building at the bottom of Marygate is the
Town Hall completed in 1754, where at times
you can take Tours around the building with
its Old Jails.
There is a a vast Car Park to the left
just before the Arch, ideal for exploring
The Car Park is at the top side of Berwick
City Walls, that run round much of Old
Berwick. The earliest parts of the Ramparts
were built for King Edward 1 in the 1300s,
soon after he captured Berwick from the
The Ramparts seen today were mainly built
from the 1550s for Queen Elizabeth 1.
Golf Club is a short walk east of the Car
Park, founded in 1903.
Next to the Golf Club is Berwick Holiday
Park looking over the sea with a
Museum and Art Gallery is the top
Attraction in the Town, in Berwick Barracks,
at the top side of the Ramparts, close to the
Car Park. The Museum covers the History of
Berwick and the Military Units that used the
Buildings over the centuries.
St Andrews Church is next to the Museum on
the Parade, a scenic Square, built in 1859 as
a Presbyterian Church.
Church is also on the Parade, next to St
Andrews Church, completed in 1652.
You can walk along the Ramparts for great
views with Information Boards here and there
giving the History.
Where the Ramparts pass the south side of
the Town Centre is the Main Guard
Museum. This Building was one of four
Guardhouses along the Ramparts, the only one
left, with interesting History of Berwick and
Battles in and around the Town.
Just along from the Main Guard is the
Chandlery where you can take Boat Trips on the
River Tweed, or out to Sea.
Next to the Chandlery is Berwick Old
Bridge from the early 1600s. Before this
Bridge, there had been a number of Wooden
Bridges, all destroyed by Floods or
The New Road Bridge, or Royal Tweed
Bridge, is next to the Old Bridge,
completed in 1928.
The Railway Viaduct, or Royal Border
Bridge, was built in the 1840s, a short
walk west. This Bridge is part of the East
Coast Main Line that runs between London and
Next to the Viaduct are the remains of
Castle. This Castle was built in the
1100s for the Scottish King David I, with it
being captured by the English a number of
times during wars between England and
Scotland. Berwick officially became part of
England after an Invasion of Scotland in
Castle Vale Park is up a steep path above
the Castle Ruins with great views over the