Heddon on the Wall is Village 50
miles east of Carlisle, 9 miles west
of Newcastle, 16 miles west of
Roman Fort on the north side of
Newcastle. The first or last section of
the 84 mile Hadrian's Wall Path runs
between the Village and Wallsend.
North Farm is situated next to the
village with Bunk Rooms.
Attractions in the area include a
short section of Hadrian's Wall on the
east side with the Village, Bar /
Diners, Halls of
Heddon Nursery on the north side,
Alpacas on the north side.
Area Attractions Click on
The Three Tuns Bar / Diner is in the
centre of Heddon on the Wall, with Gardens
and War Memorial across the road.
The Swan Inn is
round past the Church in the Village centre
with a Restaurant.
Close House Golf
Club is about one mile south of the
Village, with the Course opened in 2011 by
Lee Westwood. Close House
is now part of the Golf Complex with luxury
accommodation in Buildings around the House.
Close House was completed in 1779 for the
Bewicke family. There is an excellent
Restaurant at the Golf Club with great
Heddon on the Wall History
120s - Hadrian's Wall was built through
this area, with a Milecastle where Town Farm
is situated now, nothing of that Milecastle
400s - the Romans had left England with
Saxons from Germany moving into England where
they integrated with the English, with much
of the population becoming Anglo Saxons.
Heddon on the Wall evolved as a Farming
Village, also with some small Coal Mines, on
the Main Road from Newcastle west named
1950s late - the large Bays Leap Open Cast
Coal Mine was opened.
1960s - houses were built at Heddon on the
Wall for commuters to Newcastle, and for
people from Newcastle to retire to.
1966 - Bays Leap was closed.
1973 - the A69 Road was completed,
allowing most of the traffic between
Newcastle and Carlisle to bypass Heddon on