Lanercost Priory is about 12 miles
east of Carlisle, 48 miles west of
Newcastle, 3 miles northeast
of the town of Brampton in northern
The Priory is normally visited by
people also visiting Hadrian's Wall, as it is
situated about half of a mile north of
Area Attractions Click on
The image top is from the car park at the
entrance to Lanercost.
The second image is of the Cafe and
The third image is of the Priory showing
the section on the left that has been
maintained to serve as a Parish Church, and
the section on the right now in ruin.
The ruined section is run by English
Heritage with a gift shop. There is an
entrance fee for this part of the Priory.
The earliest parts of the Priory are from
the 1100s. It was caught up in the wars
between England and Scotland in the late
1200s, used by Edward I three times on his
raids into Scotland.
The Priory was damaged by Scottish forces
in 1296 led by William Wallace, and further
damaged in 1311 by Robert the Bruce and his
The Priory was dissolved by Henry VIII in
1538, seeing it awarded to Lord Dacre, who
used part of the building as a Mansion
Financial problems over the following
centuries saw the building fall into
disrepair, leading to the ruined part of the
building being handed over the English
Heritage in 1929, with the Nave retained to
serve as a Parish Church of St Mary
The Nave of Lanercost Priory is open to
visitors free of charge, with a donation box
by the entrance with donations used for
repairs of the building.
There is normally a service at 11:00 am
each Sunday, and Holy Communion celebrated
most Wednesdays at 10:00 am.
Next to the Priory is a scenic Old Bridge
& Mill House, Large
The Lanercost Festival of Music and Arts
is normally held over a week in mid June.
If you are on the Hadrian's Wall trail,
traveling east, your next attraction will be
Birdoswald Roman Fort 4 miles
northeast, passing the remains of Banks Turret
1 mile northeast.
Lanercost Priory Website
Priory to Birdoswald Roman Fort and Wall